2014-08-12

2014-08-12 JavaScript picture slide show (bookmarklet) experiments

(I can't help it, I need to write about this now, even though I feel very tired. I hope it will turn out helpful anyways. I may need to supplement or correct it later...)

Just recently I completed a first approach for a slide show written in JavaScript.
I was inspired to start that project now by some problems observed at this post at Enerchi's blog:
Fun Post: Photography Captures Amazing Reflections.

It's a collection/selection of nice, interesting pictures, that wouldn't display without some rather clumsy fumbling by the user, except when the pictures were already in the browsers cache. (described in the comments of that post)

As I like that selection/collection, but not so much clumbsy fumbling,
and as any slide show needs a selection of pictures,
I created my first draft of my first slide show, so that it would get it's selection of pictures out of the pictures contained in the web page and also it would get the pictures loaded before displaying them.
The later aspect is realized in such a way, that it is apparently capable of overcoming the problems
in the post given above. :-)

It is a tool used on the client side, hence the use of a bookmarklet.
(See also my post 2013-09-07 YouTube bookmarklet (for chatango) for more background info about bookmarklets.)

That bookmarklet should be available with some more background information... at my experimental site: http://marwin99.goip.de/#mbjsSlideShow1.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tech,

    I would like to try your new program out on another post. How should I proceed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enerchi,
      I'm happy to read from you here. :-)
      Guessing from your second comment below (Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 11:40:00 PM GMT), you already found out.
      The bookmarklet can be activated on any page. - The current approach will not work with https pages though.
      The script should then create and show a user interface... - the controls should be at the top of the page in the middle. - I had the main background "fixed" at first, but changed it to be able to scroll to the lower part of the larger pictures shown in original size...

      I was thinking, you could perhaps show a slide show on ascensionwithearth the next time you collected some nice pictures...
      You could do it with a similar script embedded on the slide show page.
      As I mentioned in my other comment, it could contain textual information per picture.
      And of course, it should only display the pictures intended for showing, not other icons like the ones used to control comments...

      Perhaps we could work out the details of the presentation...
      As I said, I'm willing to help and share...
      I will try and reach you by email... - last year, that seemed to have failed, btw.

      "I would like to try your new program out on another post."
      I'm getting the idea of another set of nice pictures, I would like to view that way myself.
      Could you please give me the url as well? I'm very curious.

      Delete
    2. I had sent an email shortly after I had announced it above. (And another one meanwhile)
      If it was not well received (by now) there is something (very) wrong.

      If I misunderstood the question, I need you to be more specific so that I can understand.

      Delete
  2. It works! Cool! Very simple and it displayed everything perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was delighted myself how well it worked on your post page mentioned in my post above and I liked to see you like it as well. :-)

      Many have contributed in many, often overlooked, ways, to what we have now...
      We have the internet, browsers, JavaScript, nice pictures, enthusiasm, data and code... :-)

      Delete
  3. Pages with nice pictures

    I had kind of asked for urls of pages with pictures to view in my comment Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 12:47:00 AM GMT.

    Now I found probably more than I can easily handle. ;-)
    I started searching ascensionwithearth for "Photograph".
    So I found things like Fun Post: The Top 100 ‘Pictures of the Day’ for 2012 -> The Top 100 ‘Pictures of the Day’ for 2012,
    Fun Post: The 50 Most Perfectly Timed Photos Ever
    and there seem to be many more of course.

    Perhaps it could be useful/nice to unearth such treasures - make them more easily available in some way(s)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found a little side effect of my slide show script.
    When navigating amongst the single pictures to view, items get added to the page history.
    Upon closing the user interface, those items are apparently removed again = the side effect is compensated for.
    Non of this is explicitly my doing, but results from the use of an iframe element to try and get the pictures loaded, that are otherwise not (easily) loaded into the page.

    ReplyDelete